Last Sunday my fiance was brave enough to accompany me and my mother to go to the MN Wedding Fair. We got engaged on February 13th in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, at sunset on the beach Yes, very picturesque, very romantic and hearts and kisses.
The fair was held at the Minneapolis Convention Center in a HUGE room filled with an impressive amount of vendors. They also held a fashion show! That was certainly my favorite part, although none of the dresses fit the models and the men were more focused on prancing around. Interesting to say the least.
Pics were taken with Google Glass by yours truly (a psudo-requirement enforced by the boyfriend), so I apologize in advance for any fuzziness or blurriness of the images.
- Vendors. Most of the vendors were extremely nice and offering great deals on a variety of services. DJ’s, flower shops, dress shops, wedding planners, venues, barns, farms and mansions, honeymoon planning, etc.
- Fashion Show. It was a lot of fun to watch, music was good, crowd got into it. Make sure to grab seats nice and early, and away from the air vents. Yes, it’s cold.
- Inspiration. It was particularly helpful to see some of the Pinterest ideas come to life. Visuals, visuals, visuals! I couldn’t’ imagine deciding on something that I have not seen in person.
- Vibe. I was pleasantly surprised by everyone’s friendliness and excitement at the event. Mothers, daughters, sisters, friends, fiances, and everyone else was there! Lots of “ooh’s” and “ahh’s” and even some “woots” (at the borderline strip-tease catwalks of the men models) were heard throughout the day.
- Spam. 1008 emails received after attending! Okay, I’m exaggerating, but the amount of spam email is beyond anything I’ve every experienced! I’ve even gotten a call for a “prize” I’ve won … ugh, no likey.
- Food. There were only a handful of catering vendors present. Three stood out — Ben and Jerry’s ice cream (yum!!!), Famous Dave’s (who doesn’t love ribs), and a fancy mini hors d’oeuvres vendor (don’t ask me the name of it!). Let’s get real though, that’s not enough food! I want to see viscous competition! Not only that, their little venue snack bar didn’t have a vegetable in sight, or anything fancier than old coffee (actually, it was okay). BUT – can a girl get a mocha!
- Randos. Okay, someone break this down for me: Why on earth would Anderson Windows be ‘vendoring’ at a wedding fair. I mean, I get it. I really do. Couples, they buy houses. Really, though? Totally not the right place to be.
Although we still have a lot to figure out for the big day, there are a few key things I would just love to have on the special day, wherever it may be!
- Lace and Sheer Linens
Love this look on table cloths and fabric. Lace, sheer cloths and layering is such a beautiful look that softens the feel of the wedding.
- Succulent All the Things!
The first thing we saw upon arriving, before even entering the venue, were the beds of succulent displays paired with orchids. A lot of the other flower vendors had similar alternate arrangements. I know it’s very “in” right now, but I’ve had a succulent love for a long time now, so I’d love succulents everywhere!
- Dark Calla Lilies
Just the prettiest, sultriest flower I have ever seen. Sexy time 😉 I need to figure out how to incorporate this into the wedding somehow.
- Alternative to Cake
I loved the Muddy Paws cheesecake display with flower decorations I stumbled across. Too bad the fiance doesn’t like cheesecake. Pie and ice cream are definite contenders for our special day!
- Rose Gold
Anyone who knows me understands my fascination and obsession with rose gold – just like my wedding ring 😉 Love the sequence backdrop for pictures, table cloths, and stained rose gold metallic candle holders.
More to come! Would love to hear how your wedding planning is going – and will take any advice you want to give!!